This vegan lasagna recipe is made using tofu and fresh vegetables. Many people have told me this is the best vegetarian lasagnas recipe they’ve ever eaten—including meat eaters! It is rich, filling and satisfying, and thanks to the tofu it is packed with protein. The tofu also serves a couple of other purposes in the recipe, which may explain why it’s such a hit even with meat eaters. The tofu not only adds some “meatiness” to the dish, but also helps to substitute for the texture of the cheese that would normally go in non-vegan lasagna. If you serve this meal at a gathering, everybody is bound to love it, whether they’re a vegan or not.
1 9×13 lasagna
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 ½ cups of chopped onion
4 tbsp of garlic, minced
4 cans of stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1/3 cup tomato paste
3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
3/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 pounds of tofu, firm
1 package lasagna noodles (16 oz)
3 oz of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1. Begin by making the sauce. Take a large saucepan and place it over the stove on medium heat. Put olive oil inside, and sauté the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft, but not soggy. Add in the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and parsley (1/2 cup each on the basil and parsley) into the saucepan. Stir, then reduce the heat to low, and then leave to simmer for a full hour. Later, add salt and pepper.
3. As the sauce is simmering, get a large kettle and pour in water and add salt. Bring this to a boil, and then add the lasagna noodles. Boil them for 9 minutes, until they reach the appropriate softness. Then drain them.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
5. Get the tofu and put it in a large bowl. Add garlic, basil and parsley (1/4 cup each on the garlic and the parsley). Add salt and pepper, then mash everything together so that the tofu is mashed up with the other ingredients. Once it is well mixed, you will be ready for the next step.
6. Get the lasagna assembled in this step. Get a 9×13 inch casserole pan, and spread a cup of tomato sauce across the bottom. Now add your first layer of lasagna noodles. Then add a third of the tofu mixture on top of that. Now add spinach on top of that. Next, pour 1 ½ cups of tomato sauce on top, and then add another layer of lasagna noodles. Now, add the next third of the tofu mixture, another cup and a half of tomato sauce, and then another noodle layer. Add the remaining third of the tofu to the top, then the rest of the tomato sauce.
7. Cover the pan with tin foil and place inside the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
Servings : 8
Ready in : 150
Course : Main Course
Recipe Type : Dinner, Vegan Recipes