The paleo diet does have some interesting nuances – one of the most intriguing aspects is that dishes like bacon wrapped asparagus are considered perfectly compliant. Your first reaction to the thought of bacon wrapped asparagus might be confusion or even repulsion, but the combination is surprisingly good. While asparagus is good on its own, and we know bacon is pretty darn good on its own, the saltiness and crispy texture of bacon mixed with the savoury vegetable goodness of asparagus makes a delightful combination.
For a list of Paleo Cook Books on Amazon
Note: When selecting asparagus at the grocery store, you want to choose asparagus with purple-tinged tips and bright, vibrant green stalks. If you want to make the asparagus more tender, you can peel off the outer skin from the stalk with a potato peeler – but that’s entirely up to you.
1 lb. asparagus
10 pieces of bacon (halved)
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon (quartered)
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F (204.4 °C).
2. Trim the ends off of the asparagus stalks. Optional: Peel the outer skin off the asparagus stalks to make it more tender.
3. Tightly wrap a half slice of bacon around each individual piece of asparagus. Alternatively, you can also wrap the bacon around multiple stalks – your choice. Place the wrapped asparagus onto a baking sheet.
4. Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the wrapped asparagus. Season with the black pepper.
5. Bake the wraps for 25 minutes, flipping the asparagus over halfway through. The bacon should be nice and crispy.
6. Serve and enjoy with lemon wedges.
Servings : 6
Ready in : 35
Course : Appetizer
Recipe Type : Breakfast, Paleo Recipes