It looks like cauliflower mac and cheese, and it tastes like cauliflower mac and cheese, but there’s no cheese anywhere in my delicious recipe. Vegan mac and cheese is easy and fast to prepare, is perfect for vegans and vegetarians alike, and will probably impress even your dairy-eating friends with this delightful comfort food! Kids love this dish, so if you’re a vegan parent cooking for a picky child, get ready for a lot of requests for vegan macaroni and cheese! It’s also a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
1 9×13 pan of pasta
1 pound of dry macaroni pasta
1 large head of cauliflower (2 cups after you have mashed and cooked it)
2 large carrots, peeled
1/3 cup water
½ cup of nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup bread crumbs
Salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
1. First, cook the macaroni pasta according to the instructions on the package. Use salted boiling water for best taste. Drain thoroughly in a colander.
2. Next, set a large pot on the stovetop and boil 6 to 8 cups of water.
3. While you wait for the water to boil, prepare your vegetables for the meal. Remove the florets from the cauliflower to cook, and peel your carrots and cut them into small pieces.
4. When the water is boiling, put the florets and carrots inside. Cook for fifteen minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft. You should be able to press down on it with a fork and mash it (which you’ll do in step 6).
5. When your vegetables are finished cooking, take them out of the pot and drain them thoroughly.
6. Now you are ready to mash the cauliflower with a fork.
7. Once you have completed step 6, put the cauliflower inside a blender along with the carrots, olive oil, water, lemon juice, yeast flakes and seasoning. Blend the mixture until it is smooth and creamy. This vegetable based topping is the “cheese” in the recipe.
8. Once the mixture is fully blended, pour your cooked pasta into a bowl or pot, and then top it with the mixture. Stir it into the macaroni so it is blended nicely.
9. Place the macaroni and “cheese” into a baking dish, 9×13, and put bread crumbs on top. Put it under the oven broiler and cook for 1-2 minutes. When the crumbs are golden brown, take it out and serve.
Servings : 6
Ready in : 30
Course : Main Course
Recipe Type : Dinner, Lunch, Vegan Recipes